Tuesday, March 29, 2011

End of Day 58

So it's been two whole weeks since I last updated...shame on me!  It has been a busy couple of weeks though...

Last update I posted pics of the new cabinets, with no doors, and showed the new doors to all the rooms, without handles, both of which are done now.  Also, I was begging for lighting advice and was very appreciative of all the responses and opinions people had...it helped!  We did pick a new light fixture but I'll wait until it's up to post pics.  The light fixture for my scrapbook room came in today (yay!!) so hopefully the electrician will be back soon to take care of those things, as well as get the fireplace ready, as that has now been tiled, just waiting for grout.

And talking about tile...that brought the drama queen out of me, let me tell you!  Quite a while ago we went and picked out the backsplash for the kitchen/bathrooms, and since then I've had this picture in my head of what it will look like.  Well, last Friday I came home to a shocker...the backsplash was done (only on one wall thank goodness), but it was not at all what I recall picking!  I mean, the colors and tile were right, but the amount of each color was way off.  Somehow the message got across that we wanted 3 colors,  mostly gray with some beige and a little chocolate in there.  I thought we were going with 4 colors, most of which was to be a very neutral light beige, with the other 3 other colors placed sparingly thru out.  This is not what was on the walls when I got home.  There was so much gray on the walls my jaw just dropped!  Right away I called the flooring place and she said the guy would be right over.  I felt so bad 'cause he showed up with his little boys :(  I had to decide right away whether or not the tile was coming down, so I had him rip out the kitchen.  Meanwhile, I hadn't realized the bathroom was done too, so I go look, and it's all gray.  I cried.  I didn't like it, but I knew I didn't have the heart to make him tear it down too.  It was 6pm, and he had his little boys there.  Plus, it was set already so the drywall would have had to have been redone too, and I was NOT prepared to have to deal with mudding and taping again.  So, the gray tile stays in the bathroom and will go in our little bathroom too.  I don't think it will be a big deal in the end.  The problem with it in the kitchen is that it turned really blue.  If not for that, I would have left it because I do like the pattern he put in, and although I was thinking the backsplash wouldn't be such a statement, I like that using the 3 darker colors instead of a neutral with little hits of color did make it a statement, and I liked it.  In the end, it will be 3 colors, but mostly beige and chocolate with just a little bit of the gray.  Hopefully it turns out good, or I'll just have to suck it up like the bathrooms!

The better side of the coin had us move into our bedroom a couple of nights ago...it's so nice to be up there!  I even took the little table and mirror I was using in the hallway in the basement to get ready in the morning and put it in the bedroom, just because I can't stand to be down there at all!  It won't be long now, that's for sure, although the tile mishap put us behind a bit.  But it will go in next week, and then things upstairs should be pretty much rapped up, and it will be time to celebrate and show off our beautiful house!  For now, you will have to make do with pics though :)


The kitchen still needs the bottom trim and crown molding for the cupboards, backsplash and new electrical outlets.  After that it's complete!  Oh, and the microwave needs to be installed above the stove too...


I should have taken the pics earlier, they are a little dark.



 Rowan chasing the shadows on the wall :)


I am loving the stainless appliances with the dark cupboards.



This mixer cabinet is the coolest thing.  The mixer sits here all nice and tucked away, and then...


...when you want to use it you just guide the shelf up and out and it stays at counter height until you release the lock and then it just drops back into place - much better than lifting this 50lb monster up above my head like I used to have to do!  This handy contraption along with the 8 foot long counter will make for a happy Marsha when baking and canning!


The fireplace tile matches the new kitchen lino perfectly!  I'm still hesitant about this reddish wood laminate, but I keep telling myself that once we have everything in the room, it won't look bad...most of it will be covered up really...



Yay - we are back in our bedroom - it's exciting even if I can't decorate it the way I want to just yet :)    I'm not sure if I'll get a real vanity to replace the home jobby one shown here or not - there will be lots of room in our bathroom, but I've kind of enjoyed having a place to sit and get ready in the morning instead of standing in the bathroom...it looks kind of tight here, but we have the bed over as far as we can so the cabinet maker has room to install the closet on Friday.  I've always envisioned a bench along that wall though, not a vanity - it will take some thought!


This TV will be in the living room eventually, but it's a treat to watch in bed over the little 13 incher we have for the bedroom!  The stand it's on is the bottom of our armoire, but we decided we liked the openness of the room without the top part, so we'll just use the bottom - good storage for blankets and such...


Signs of life coming back to the upstairs in my scrapbook room!


Cam's room is just waiting for his new bed frame.  There won't be much decorating in here as he will stay up here only while the basement is being done, and then he will move into a nice new room down there once that is all complete.

 The door handles...the same pretty much on all the doors, inside and out....


The backsplash that no longer is...I know it doesn't look bad in this pic, but it really is way too much gray that turns blue in this kitchen....





The gray bathroom that I will suck up and learn to love :)  But the beige and/or chocolate would have looked waaay better.





I almost forgot to mention the new kitchen faucet - who'd have thunk I'd be so happy about a faucet?!!

0 comments: