Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Blogging...A Learning Curve

Last Thursday night I sat down and drafted my first menu plan post. Well, where is it you ask? It's still sitting there in the drafts folder, that's where it is. Why, you ask? Sitting here now, I'm not sure to be honest.

It was a fine post....up until I wanted to personalize the name of the link I wanted to embed. It wasn't good enough for me to just be able to link you directly to a recipe on the Kraft Canada site, but I wanted that link to show as just the recipe name to you, not as the whole address. You know, when you click on the word 'here' and it takes you to wherever you are supposed to be directed to?

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME??? I completely gave up because I couldn't make it "perfect"! I searched around and I think I found the directions on how to do it, but the language was so foreign to me I'm still not sure I was reading the right instructions! I was defeated. I thought - maybe I'm not cut out for this...this is a lot of technical stuff I just don't get! And trust me, I'm decently knowledgeable on both the inside and outside of a computer! But this language I didn't know had me feeling on the dumb side and I've avoided the blog since then.

Today I came on just to rant a bit and say I was giving up, and when I went to bold a word I noticed the link button. I was even excited to see it. In my drive for perfection, I actually forgot that I could still helpfully direct you to where I wanted you to go, which was the whole point to begin with! Who cares if it isn't exactly what I wanted? I can't believe I gave up so easily!

There are a slew of pretty blogs out there, fantastically designed blogs actually, and I will say the women (and men, I know you're out there too) who are designing them are talented. But just because my blog isn't as fancy as theirs, it doesn't mean I should give up. Doing what I am able is enough.  I will carry on with the tools I have, and hopefully expand on them...no pressure though :)  I'll change the colors up here just to add interest and to at least feel a little bit better about myself in knowing I can do that at least ;)

And to impress you with what is a new skill to me (perfect or not), here are a couple of links to a some tasty dishes we had for supper last week...

I hope it's ok for me to link you to a blog recipe. I'm not up on the blog etiquette, but I know it's a good thing to give credit where credit is due, and this blogger deserves credit for her quick and tasty Creamy Potato Soup:



And this was a fun take on meatloaf...the potatoes were sooo yummy:

**ARGH!!  As you can see, my linking skills still need some honing (not so impressive!) - I guess you will have to copy the address and paste it into the address bar if you want to view these recipes.  If you need help with that, please let me know and I'd be more than willing to assist, although I'm sure the help is not required :) **ok, now they work :)  not sure what I did different this time, but I'll take it!



RENOS UPDATE - the tile backsplash in the kitchen was started yesterday...buuuuut, they didn't order enough tile. And go figure, the grout color was wrong. Another delay. Other than that, the new sectional and chairs were delivered and that is it. No word from the cabinet 
maker in a while...maybe tomorrow? Pics to come soon....


Oh - happy Hump Day tomorrow!

2 comments:

Laurie Jefferies said... [Reply to comment]

Have you figured it how to do links yet? Let me know if you haven't and I think I can help you. It should be pretty easy I think.

Marsha said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Laurie! Sorry for taking so long to reply...I did finally get the links figured out. I was trying to do it on my IPad, but that wasn't working so I finally got on the Mac and of course it's super easy! There's still a lot I don't know though, so I just may bug you if I'm having troubles. Ithink you are in AB now, so I hope we get to see you!